Kids are naturally curious and playful creatures. As a parent, you want to make sure that their activities will benefit their development. And this is why you should carefully choose the games they play.
Board games are great activities for your little one. These do not only keep them entertained but they help improve their well-being, too.
Do you want to help enhance their vocabulary? Or what about number skills? Their color recognition, fine motor skills, and ability to organize things?
Yes, these are all possible to do by exposing them more to board games!
Here, we take a look at the 5 amazing benefits of board games for kids under 7 yrs. We also present to you the top board games for 4 year olds and their cool features. So let’s go ahead and get the ball rolling and pick out the perfect board game for your kiddo!
Benefits of Board Games for Kids Under 7 Yrs
In a world where technology rules, it is not uncommon to find kids as young as 4 holding a portable game console. Whatever happened to the good ol’ times when kids are playing classic board games such as Scrabble, Monopoly, Chutes, and Ladders?
Parents who are looking to give their kids good, clean fun should expose their young ones to board games. In fact, here are some benefits you can expect from having your child play board games as a part of their daily routine.
1. Improve their math skills.
There are so many games out there that support a child’s numerical skills. These games encourage them to count, recognize numbers, and do basic arithmetic such as counting and subtracting.
2. Enhance critical thinking skills.
Certain board games encourage kids to think and come up with solutions to various situations. Problem-solving skills are developed, which they can apply in their daily life.
3. Achieve color recognition.
Young preschoolers exposed to board games that involve colors and patterns can learn a lot from these activities. They will be able to tell colors apart, which is also an important day to day skill.
4. Promote fine motor skills development.
Board games for 3 year olds that involve using their fingers help strengthen these muscles responsible for fine motor development. As these muscles become stronger, this allows kids to do better in activities such as writing, buttoning their jackets, tying their shoelaces, and the like.
5. Keep them focused.
It is essential to train young children to focus and concentrate, which are important skills they can use as adults. This is why we highly recommend board games that give them more opportunities to focus on. In a time where there are so many distractions all around, the ability to concentrate on one thing can impact their success in the future.
Top Board Games for 4 Years Olds and Preschoolers
With all of these impressive benefits of board games, let us have a look at these exciting games that your young one will surely love.
1. Hasbro Hi Ho! Cherry-O
Who could ever forget this classic board game? This is one of the best board games for 3 year olds and up, which involves numerous practical skills.
For instance, this game encourages counting, subtraction, and addition. As kids play this game, they will also learn math skills that are crucial to their overall development. Play it with the whole family as a great bonding time or as a counting game in school.
- CLASSIC BEGINNER GAME: Do you remember playing the Hi Ho! Cherry-O game when you were a child? Introduce new generations to the classic gameplay of this kids' board game for boys and girls ages 3 and up
- FUN COUNTING BOARD GAME: Kids ages 3 and up can have a blast picking pretend fruit from the trees on the game board, and filling their buckets. The spinner lets them know the number of pieces to pick -- or put back
- SIMPLE GAMEPLAY FOR PRESCHOOLERS: Players take turns picking pretend cherries, blueberries, apples, and oranges from their trees to fill their baskets. The first to fill their basket wins
- PRACTICE BASIC MATH SKILLS: Kids can have such fun picking fruit to fill their baskets, they don’t even realize they’re practicing math skills, such as counting, addition and subtraction
- GREAT GIFT FOR BOYS AND GIRLS: The Hi Ho! Cherry-O board game makes a great birthday gift for both boys and girls ages 3 and up. Play it at home with the family. Use this fun counting game in the classroom
2. ThinkFun Zingo Bingo Board Game
We are awed by the popularity of this game, which sold over 50 million worldwide! ThinkFun is an outstanding board game that includes cognitive, language and logical skills.
This is a great board game for young readers, as it helps build their matching and language skills. It is a fast-paced game but with clear and simple instructions, any kid can get on board quickly!
- Trusted by Families Worldwide - With over 50 million sold, ThinkFun is the world's leading manufacturer of brain games and mind challenging puzzles.
- Develops critical skills – Perfect for pre-readers and early readers, builds language and matching skills in preschool kids through fun, fast-paced play. Zingo is as popular in the classroom with teachers as it is in the home with families!
- What you get - This is the Amazon exclusive version of the world famous game Zingo, one of ThinkFun's best games for kids ages 4 and up, and it includes an extra Zingo card so that up to 7 players can play! Also includes a unique Zinger device that delights players of all ages.
- Clear instructions – Easy to learn with a clear, high quality instruction manual. You can start playing right away!
- Award winner - Zingo has won many awards including an Oppenheim Gold, Parents' Choice Award, ASTRA Best Toys for Kids Award, and is a three time Toy of the Year Nominee, which makes it a great gift for boys and girls ages 4 and up.
3. Marble Run Maze Madness
Perfect for 4 years old and up, the Marble Run includes a total of 113 marble pieces. There are 4 marbles with LED lights and 25 made of glass. The goal is to build towers and let the marbles go in different directions - up, down, and round and round… Fast!
What’s great about this game is that it allows kids to create various models freely. There are different modes - easy, medium, and hard - to test their abilities and keep them challenged. This is a fantastic STEM game that promotes logical thinking, color and shape recognition, hand-eye coordination, and spatial imagination.
- 85 complete see-through Marble Run pieces in 19 distinct styles allow you to see all the action (we don't count pieces like everyone else - these are actual complete pieces and not parts that have to be added together! See comparison in Product Description.)
- Solid plastic pieces that stick together and are easy for kids to play with
- 8 solid bases including 3 large bases to ensure maximum stability (large base designs vary slightly per included pieces image)
- Free Marble Genius Instruction App with purchase that includes 9 step-by-step guides, fun challenges, and regularly updated content (iOS or Android)
- Compatible with Marbulous Marble Run Toys including our Marble Genius Marble Run Starter Set (60 pc.), Extreme Set (125 pc.), Booster Set (20 pc.), & 9 Accessory Sets. Standard Toy Size Marbles (5/8 inch or smaller) work with this set (65 Glass Marbles Included)
4. Educational Insights Robot Face Race
If your child is fond of robots, this is a cool board game he should try. The Robot Face Race allows you to find matching robot heads among the numerous options. With 120 robot heads in total, this makes the game more challenging and loads of fun.
The game supports your child’s visual discrimination development by recognizing the correct colored facial features of the robot. We recommend this game for children 4 years old and over, and non-readers will surely enjoy this Robot Face Race, too!
- FIND THE MATCHING ROBOT FACE: A crazy inventor has built dozens of robot bodies and needs your help finding the matching heads! Be the 1st to match 5 robot faces to win
- HOW TO PLAY: Shake the randomizer to reveal the robot's eyes, nose, mouth, and face color features. Everyone then scans the board to find the matching robot head. The 1st player to place their token on the matching face gets to keep their token. The 1st player with 5 tokens wins
- INCLUDES: Robot randomizer, game board with 120 different robot heads, and 20 robot scoring tokens in 4 colors
- PRE-READING SKILL: Scanning the board for the robot head with the correct colored face, nose, eyes, and mouth develops visual discrimination—a key pre-reading skill
- AWARD-WINNING GAME: This award-winning game is recommended by American Mensa! Perfect for ages 4+ with no reading required
5. Apples to Apples Board Game
Young kids will have a ball playing this board game that lets them make crazy comparisons to enhance their creativity. There are 576 cards, which are all unique, that players can use. This is a fast-moving game that allows you to make a massive range of funny comparisons involving things, people, events, and people.
What’s great about this game is that you learn as you have fun. For instance, kids are able to expand their vocabulary and strengthen their cognitive skills. As a unique feature of this game, there’s the “table talk” that lets you justify to the judge the comparison you have come up with. It’s undeniably fun-filled!
- Apples To Apples is the hilarious comparison game where players are free to be totally subjective in deciding the outcome.
- Features two types of cards: Red Apple, which contains a noun phrase, and Green Apple, which contains an adjective.
- Players select the Red Apple card from their hand that they think is most like a Green Apple card played by the judge The judge then selects the winner of that round, and everyone gets a chance to be the judge.
- Each round is filled with surprising and outrageous comparisons from a wide range of people, places, things and events.
- Includes over 1,000 cards and collectible tin.
6. Educational Insights The Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel Board Game
Does your child love squirrels? I’m sure he’ll get hooked on this Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel board game that’s packed with entertainment. It’s one of the highly recommended board games for 4 years olds and even non-readers. The goal is to collect the most acorns to win the game. It’s that easy!
There are so many skills to learn in this game. It enhances your hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, strategic-thinking, and etiquette. This is the kind of game that helps kids learn the concept of waiting for their turn, which is an essential skill to have for sure.
- NO READING REQUIRED! Your forest pals are hungry and need your help. Help them find their acorns in this fun and addictive toddler board game designed to teach young children about colors. Easy to understand and play—no reading required. Easy set up and clean up; box doubles as storage.
- BEST-SELLING PRESCHOOL GAME 5 YEARS RUNNING! Reinforce color learning, help develop matching skills, strategic thinking, turn-taking, hand-eye coordination, and fine motor skills with this board game for kids.
- HOW TO PLAY: Spin the spinner and pick up the matching acorn with your Squirrel Squeezer, placing it in your log. The first to collect 5 acorns wins!
- INCLUDES colorful tree-shaped game board, Squirrel Squeezer, 20 colored acorns, 1 game spinner, 4 logs, and instruction guide.
- AWARD WINNING! Winner of Parents' Choice Award, Dr. Toy Best Picks, Good Housekeeping Best Toy, Canadian Toy Testing Council, and NAPPA Games Honors awards.
7. Monkeys Up Board Game
Put the fun in learning in the Monkeys Up game. It is a fast and entertaining game that involves a lot of flipping, stealing and switching monkeys around. This game is so exciting, even adults will go bananas while playing it!
In this board game, kids can learn color recognition, critical and strategic thinking. It also enhances creativity as each player comes up with a way to steal and flip the “best” monkey in the bunch. There is no doubt this game will be an instant hit for the whole family.
- GAME NIGHT: Play the flip’em, switch’em, steal’em game where you find out who has the best memory, strategy, & luck! Victory goes to the player who is most successful as they switch, steal, & flip
- MONKEYS UP: Players compete to get the best score by flipping, switching, and stealing monkeys. Each monkey has a value hidden under its feet that is only revealed when flipped
- GAME CONTENTS: This game will have you going bananas! Play with 1-6 players who are ages 6 years old and up. The game includes 18 monkeys, 1 die, and instructions
- FAMILY FUN: The rules are easy to learn and the game is difficult to stop playing, it’s that much fun! It’s the perfect game for families that allows the kids, teens, and parents to all get involved
- ENDLESS PLAY: Continuum Games presents card, dice, board, party, word, trivia, and strategy games for everyone. You’ll find high quality games that are quick to pick up and provide endless play value
8. Operation Electronic Board Game With Cards
Your child is never too young to be a doctor… Not in this game, at least. The Operation game lets your child play doctor and heal Cavity Same. It’s either the buzzer or make him feel better… And it’s a timed race that will get young doctors dashing to pick out the nasties in his body.
It may seem silly but this game actually teaches kids a lesson. They are able to solve problems and enhance their fine motor skills as they use tweezers to remove crazy ailment pieces.
- Ages: 6 Years & up
- Requires 2 1.5V"AA" alkaline batteries (demo batteries included)
- Use the tweezers to remove Cavity Sam's ailments
- Features classic ailments
- Can play solo or with friends
9. Ravensburger Labyrinth Family Board Game
The idea of dealing with a labyrinth may seem tricky but this game is anything but dull. This labyrinth game is packed with excitement and pure, clean fun that will appeal to people of all ages. Great for kids under 7 years, as well as kids-at-heart, this is a game you would like to play over and over.
The goal is to get yourself out of the labyrinth using the shortest route possible. Reach your targets and collect as many treasures as you can as you find your way out of the maze. Sounds fun? It sure is!
- Fun play experience – In Labyrinth, Ravensburger’s hugely popular board game for boys and girls and their parents, you have to find the shortest route through the Labyrinth to win! The game is for 2-4 players aged 7 and up, and the aim is to reach all your treasures and targets as you move through the Labyrinth.
- High quality components – Contains a playing board, 34 maze cards, 24 treasure cards, 4 playing pieces.
- Easy to understand instructions – High quality, Easy to understand instructions make it easy to start playing right away.
- Great replay value – Playing time is 20-30 minutes for 2-4 players age 7 and up. Labyrinth can be played over and over again and makes a great gift for kids and families.
- For ages 7 and up, players learn cause and effect, planning, association, recognition and taking turns.
10. The World of Eric Carle The Very Hungry Caterpillar
We have heard and read of The Very Hungry Caterpillar book. But this time, how about playing it? Yep, this game is just what’s perfect for Eric Carle’s Very Hungry Caterpillar fans. The goal is to move 3D colorful caterpillars from one fruit to the next and collect a butterfly puzzle piece.
There are 5 puzzle pieces in total, and once you have collected each and build a lovely wing, you win! It’s a great game that encourages exploration, imaginative play, and color and shapes recognition among kids.
- Fun, colourful and educational board game starring Eric Carle's renowned storybook characters
- Collect puzzle pieces to transform your caterpillar into a unique, beautiful butterfly
- A fun game of counting, collecting and puzzle building
- Encourages decision making and aids the development of fine motor skills
- Perfect for 2-4 players age 3 years and over
11. Fabric Dart Board Game
Train your young one to be as precise as he can be with this dartboard game. But don’t worry, this is absolutely kid-friendly. The balls are not sharp at all, so there are no risks of injuries or damages to the wall.
Just like every dart game, it is all about accuracy. It enhances focus, math skills (from adding up the scores), and concentration to hit the target.
- Classic dart game with safety in mind using plastic balls instead of sharp darts
- 20 balls included in this set. 20 blue and red colored balls with 1 fabric board
- Great for improving hand-eye coordination, math and number skills, and just fun
- Hang the fabric board to a wall and aim the balls at the target to win points
- BetterLine provides a 100% hassle-free guarantee. We stand behind our products
12. GoSports Fun Giant 4 in a Row
Does this game ring a bell? And why wouldn’t it? It’s a childhood classic many of us have grown up playing as a kid! The objective of this game is to get 4 in a row of the same color. It’s actually pretty easy and even younger kids can play it.
Enhance your strategic skills with this game, so you can score and win. But other than that, it is a wholesome game played during camp, at the beach, and indoors.
- Giant size fun: Game measures over 3 feet wide and 32 inches tall and can be set up indoors or outdoors in seconds
- 100% wooden construction: Each game is crafted from sturdy premium wood and painted white for our signature look
- Game pieces included: 42 gosports plastic coins (21 red + 21 blue); the coins are made from extremely durable plastic and will never break
- Travel case: Includes a robust carrying case for neat storage and easy portability on the go
13. Juegoal Tumble Tower Blocks
Stack ‘em up and stop ‘em from falling… That’s pretty much the objective of this game. These blocks are made of wood, so these do not break or get scratched up. Just pull out a piece, one at a time, and then stack it up to the highest level. It gets tougher as it gets taller - but that’s the fun in this game!
There are so many skills to enhance by playing this game. For instance, it improves your balance, self-control, and eye-hand coordination. You can also improve your fine motor skills, which are essential when pulling out pieces and stacking them up.
- Great Game Gift: Suitable for people of all age, great game for indoors or outdoors, perfect for family gathering, picnics, birthdays, parties and everyday backyard fun! Includes 54 tumble tower blocks, each block is 6 x 2 x 1.3 inch.
- Overall Giant Size: 6 x 6 x 23.5 inch, 2 FT (18 rows) could be grown up to 4 FT tall tower when played.
- Six Marked Blocks & One Extra Dice: Make up your own rules by incorporating the dice into the game (ex: whatever number you roll, that is how many blocks you must move).
- Easy to carry, the thick black canvas carrying bag lets you take the set with you, durable handles make transporting the tower easy.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE! If for any reason you are not satisfied, please let us know and our customer service team will help you RETURN OR REFUND.
14. IQ BUILDER STEM Learning Toy
Last but not least, we have this wonderful STEM toy that is 100% educational and pure fun. This offers a way for kids to build their basic STEM skills while enhancing their cognition, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.
What’s cool about this game is that it works for kids of all levels - beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Plus, this toy is BPA-free and lead-free, so this is completely safe for young kids to use.
- ► EMPOWER YOUR CHILD WITH THE SKILLS NEEDED FOR A BRIGHT AND SUCCESSFUL FUTURE ✮ IQ BUILDER has created a brand new and unique set of educational toys with a strong emphasis on STEM LEARNING to help children build a solid foundation in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. Our toys are designed to flex mental muscles and put the cognitive parts of the brain to work promoting development of critical thinking, reasoning and problem solving skills! ✮
- ► RECOMMENDED BY EDUCATION PROFESSIONALS FOR BOTH THE HOME AND CLASSROOM ✮ IQ BUILDER was inspired by a group of teachers and our toys have been applied in classrooms to assist in demonstrating concepts of geometry, physics and mathematics to students ranging from elementary school children to adults attending graduate degree programs. It is a fun and productive gift for anyone – child or adult - that has shown an interest in math, science, construction and/or engineering! ✮
- ► THREE INSTRUCTIONAL EBOOKS INCLUDED FOR BEGINNER, INTERMEDIATE AND ADVANCED BUILDING ✮ Toy sets made by IQ BUILDER can assemble nearly any geometrical configuration you can imagine from small simple shapes and patterns to large complex models and structures. We have included three eBooks so anyone can play no matter their skill level. Each ball has 26 connecting points and our set comes with four different length connector pieces allowing for great flexibility in design and creativity! ✮
Board games for kids can surely offer hours of fun and entertainment to young learners.
Just be sure to check the age requirement for a game in question and check its safety features. It should be made of child-safe materials for every parent’s peace of mind.
We also highly recommended more preschool board games for your choice below
Last update on 2021-05-18 PST / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API - Details