Breastfeeding is a very important activity to do with your baby. This not only improves the bond between the two of you, but this also serves as a vital connection that makes your baby healthier. However, we cannot deny the fact that breastfeeding is not as easy as it sounds.
Though it might look easy, it isn't because your hands, arms, and body can be exhausted in carrying your baby. Add up the continuous suckling of your baby on your nipples. Fortunately, you can do something about it by getting a breastfeeding pillow. Good thing you found yourself in this article because we'll be showing you the best breastfeeding pillows you can get.
The Benefits of Having a Breastfeeding Pillow
1. Easier Breastfeeding
These breastfeeding pillows are made for a specific purpose, and that is to make breastfeeding easier. It does this by making you more comfortable in carrying your baby while they suckle on your nipple. What you regularly do when you’re breastfeeding your baby is that you carry them with your hands.
You use the entire force of your hands together with your arms in carrying them. It’s because of this that you become exhausted the longer you carry them. With the help of a breastfeeding pillow, you don’t have to worry about that because the pillow absorbs some of the weight. This frees up a lot of weight that is carried by your hands and arms. Your body won’t surely be strained up when you use a breastfeeding pillow.
2. No Spillage
Another cool thing about breastfeeding pillows is that they help in avoid spillage. Milk from your breast usually spills out because your baby doesn’t have a good suckle on your nipple. This might be caused by a number of reasons such as improper positioning or discomfort as to how they are placed.
With the help of a breastfeeding pillow, you don’t have to worry about it because you are assured of the proper positioning of your baby.It is the ideal cushioning system for your baby which makes them feel more at ease in suckling the milk from your breast. It sure is a hassle to keep on cleaning and wiping the spilled milk after your baby is done breastfeeding. Good thing you don’t have to worry about that when you’ve got a breastfeeding pillow.
When you’re using a breastfeeding pillow when nursing your baby, you’ll feel more comfortable because your hands and arms don’t have to extend too much. You can just place your hands and arms comfortably on the pillow while carrying your baby. It’s because of this that you don’t need to carry the baby’s entire weight.
Aside from that, you won’t also have back pains because you can just let your back rest on a chair while breastfeeding. No more slouching for you.
Breastfeeding is a very important activity between the mother and the baby, but it’s also quite risky. Why is this so? Well, it’s because you are just simply carrying your baby with your hands. What happens when your hands or arms tire up?
The possibility of losing hold of your baby increases.But with the help of a breastfeeding pillow, you don’t have to worry about that because its design is specifically made to ensure your baby to be secure when breastfeeding. They won’t easily fall off because of the cushion, and you won’t also get easily strained in holding it because it’s soft and you don’t absorb the baby’s entire weight.
Things to Consider When Buying a Breastfeeding Pillow
The very first thing you need to consider when buying a breastfeeding pillow is the fabric. The fabric plays a vital role in the feel of your baby and yourself when using it. Make sure that the fabric is soft and doesn't easily shed its material.
You don't want your baby getting a few tidbits of cotton in their mouth. You can also check if the fabric is smooth. Putting your baby on something smooth makes them feel more at ease. For sure, they’ll cry less when they’re placed on a breastfeeding pillow that has a nice fabric.
2. Cushion and Stuffing
All pillows should have a nice cushion because that is its purpose – to provide a cushion. With this, it makes perfect sense for you to know more about its material. Is it made of cotton? Is it made of organic or synthetic padding? It's in asking questions like these that you're able to know if the pillow will make your baby and yourself as well, feel more comfortable.
3. Water Resistance
This is very important because the chances of spillage is very common when breastfeeding. This is especially true for first-time mothers who still haven’t developed the techniques in breastfeeding. When you breastfeed for the first time, you’ll surely experience your baby losing contact from your nipple, and milk may accidentally drip of to the pillow.
The same goes for babies who are likely to drink still not the suckled up milk that can just drip off their small mouths. It's because of these situations that you need a pillow that has some water or liquid resistance feature, so you won't have a hard time in always washing it off.
When it comes to choosing a breastfeeding pillow, you don't need to buy the most expensive one. There are a lot of breastfeeding pillows sold that aren't that expensive but still have the same or similar quality and materials with the ones that have a higher price. To be sure that you've got your money's worth, it'll be wise for you to choose one that is in the mid-price range, so you'll get the right balance between quality and price.
Top 5 Best Breastfeeding Pillows
The Boppy Nursing Pillow and Positioner is a highly recommended breastfeeding pillow because it is made from high quality materials. It’s made of 80% polyester and 20% cotton, making it a soft and durable pillow. It features a cotton polyester slip cover that gives you an assurance that this will last for a long time. It’s also machine washable, which means you can easily clean and wash it off if it already got a lot of stains or got dirty.
This breastfeeding pillow also has a cute and baby-friendly design, having cartoon graphics of giraffes, elephants, rhinos, and other jungle animals. It’s water resistant, hypoallergenic, and has additional slip covers that are sold separately. Your baby might love this pillow because of all these interesting features.
- The pillow’s quality is great. You’ll really feel that it’s made of high quality materials because of how it feels and looks.
- It’s also very soft and has an even texture. Your hands and arms won’t strain even if you’re breastfeeding for a long time. They are sure placed in a soft and comfortable pillow.
- This is a water-resistant and hypoallergenic pillow, which means that you don’t have to worry about spillages and dust irritants. They won’t seep through it.
- It doesn’t fit perfectly well with your baby. This is probably due to its design and sizing.
- It also is a bit too soft, making it not sturdy enough to support the baby’s overall weight.
The Leachco Cuddle-U Basic Nursing Pillow is another highly recommended breastfeeding pillow. This one features a seat wrap that is made to hold your baby into place, reducing the chances of them slipping off of it. It also helps prevent your baby to slide off the pillow. It has a reclined positioning which not only makes your baby comfortable, but it also helps in improving digestion and reducing acid reflux.
This one is even self-adjusting where you can easily adjust it to fit to your needs and your baby’s as well. This one is a great pillow for tummy times and sit-up supports. It has a big space, making it still usable even if your baby grows older.
- This breastfeeding pillow is nicely made. Its design is nice, it’s construction is nice, and it’s overall appeal is interesting.
- It’s affordable priced. Considering that this is made with high quality materials and a huge space, it’s worth your money.
- The material this pillow is soft. It’s comfortable for your hands and arms, and for your baby’s as well.
- This is not machine washable. It would look at its best form once you’ve washed it. Because of this, you need to be extra careful in spilling.
- The quality of this breastfeeding pillow is not that great. Though it’s soft and comfortable, it’s a bit too loose and the cushioning doesn’t have that a great of a support.
- The filler can easily come out of the fabric, which is dangerous for your baby if even they accidentally put it into their mouths.
Then there’s the Dana Donut Shape Wedge Pillow which has an interesting design with its modern triangle pattern. This not only serves as a means to boost its aesthetic appeal, but it also helps in concealing any stains from spillages and dirt buildup. This makes your pillow free of any mess and stains.
The fabric of this pillow is extra absorbent and hypoallergenic, which means that it can tolerate a decent amount of spillages and dust as it won’t seep through its fabric.
The zipper is located in the backside to ensure the safety of your baby. What’s great about this is that even though its liquid resistant and hypoallergenic, it still is 100% machine washable. It wouldn’t lose its form even if you wash it a lot of times.
- It’s great in making you feel more comfortable. It’s soft, has great cushioning qualities, and helps keep your hands and arms free of straining because of its ideal size and positioning.
- The design looks great. It doesn’t only look interesting, but it is also function as it can effectively cover up stains.
- It fits your baby perfectly, making this excel when it comes to safety and security. The chances of your baby rolling over or sliding are reduced to a minimum.
- The fabric of this pillow is quite thin. You’ll feel the materials inside of it, and it feels a little bit weird.
- The stitching pattern at its sides is a little bit annoying because it is a bit popped out off the surface.
Another highly recommended product is the Adorology Nursing Pillow Slipcover Maternity Pillow. The reason why this made it on our list is because of its functional supportive design. It can be easily wrapped around your arm, which in turn gives excellent support on your baby’s head and neck. It’s made for comfort. It also has a crease located on the middle bottom portion so that you can easily bend your elbow with ease.
What makes this a popular choice is because of its Velcro that is completely adjustable. This breastfeeding pillow is also made of 100% cotton, giving you the assurance of comfort and durability. It’s also hypoallergenic, flame retardant, and has polyester fillers to add up to its support features.
- This is very effective in making breastfeeding easier because of the support it gives you and your baby.
- It’s also fairly easy to slip this on and off your arms and baby. It’s because of this that you wouldn’t be hassled in using this anywhere or any time of the day.
- This is made of 100% cotton that perfectly goes in tandem with its polyester fillers. What’s great is that it’s hypoallergenic and flame retardant, making this a really safe pillow.
- The only downside to this product is its price, which is a bit too high for its simple design.
- The design is too simple and plain.
Probably one of the best, if not the best breastfeeding pillow in this review is the Pello Comfy Cradle Slip-on Pillow. It is made from 100% pure and high quality cotton. It features a breathable fabric, which makes the temperature around your baby ideal.
It’s also machine washable which is why you don’t have to worry about it shrinking in size are losing its form. It is available in three colors – gray, pink, and blue. It’s also hypoallergenic, making it very safe and ideal for your baby. Functional simplicity is what makes this stand out.
- It is made of a high quality cotton material, making it feel comfortable and smooth even if you’re using this in an extended amount of time.
- It perfectly fits your baby. They won’t accidentally roll off or slide off of it because of its design.
- It’s ideally elevated and supported, making you feel comfortable and at ease. Your baby’s welfare is also greatly taken care off because this pillow holds them in place.
- The fabric is not that stretchy, making it feel a bit weird the first time you use it.
The best product among the five reviewed breastfeeding pillows is the Pello Comfy Cradle Slip-on Pillow. Though it looks simple, it is still very functional thanks to its high quality cotton material. The way it is designed also ensures the safety and security of your baby. Its texture is smooth and soft, and it’s also hypoallergenic. If you want to ensure the comfort and security of your baby, then this is what you need to get. It's surely worth your money.
Last update on 2020-08-05 PST / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API - Details